A viral middle school football clip in Tennessee has turned into a juvenile court case, school sanctions and a dispute between two families over what happened before a 16-year-old spectator ran onto the field.
Addison Hunnicutt faces assault and disorderly conduct allegations after entering the field during an Aug. 18 game between South Middle School and Cornersville Middle School in Winchester and tackling a 13-year-old South Middle player. Video of the incident spread widely online.
Hunnicutt does not deny running onto the field. She told NewsChannel 5 that she believed the other player was hurting her younger brother and that no one was stopping it.
Her own mother has acknowledged that running onto the field was inappropriate. But Hunnicutt, her family and her attorney argue that the short viral clip begins too late to explain why she acted, while school officials and law enforcement are focused on the fact that a spectator entered the field and struck a middle school player.
The Video Shows Her Running Onto the Field After a Scuffle
The game was being played at Franklin County High School, where South Middle plays its home games. WSMV reported that South Middle scored a touchdown and extra point at about 8 p.m. before two players became involved in a scuffle near the end zone. Video showed referees throwing flags as the players began moving away from the confrontation.
Hunnicutt then came onto the field and ran toward the South Middle player who had been involved with her brother. Authorities said she tackled the player, knocked him to the ground and made contact with him again before coaches intervened. School resource officers met Hunnicutt after she left the field.
She was released to her parents that night. The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office subsequently said she faced assault and disorderly conduct charges. No injuries were reported.
Hunnicutt Says She Thought Her Brother Was Being Attacked
Hunnicutt told NewsChannel 5 that the tackle did not come out of nowhere from her perspective. She said she had watched the opposing player grab her younger brother’s facemask and “sling him around” multiple times. When she then saw her brother hit in the ribs, she decided she had seen enough.
“That’s when I started to be like, no, I’m done watching this,” Hunnicutt said. She said what pushed her onto the field was her belief that nobody else was intervening. “Seeing what they were doing to him and no one stopping it, that kind of made me the last choice,” she said. “Somebody has to stop this.”
Her mother, Elizabeth Chumbley, gave a similar account of what she believed was happening to her son, saying she saw him on the ground being attacked. She nevertheless drew a line between understanding her daughter’s motive and approving of the response. “I made sure she understood quickly that her behavior, that was inappropriate, and you should not have jumped over the fence,” she told NewsChannel 5.
Her Attorney Says the Viral Clip Does Not Show the Full Context
Attorney David McKenzie said Hunnicutt’s defense will focus on what happened before she entered the field. “It’s not just a one-minute clip,” McKenzie told NewsChannel 5. “It’s about the other 20 minutes of this game, what was going on this field.”
He said he believes Hunnicutt’s younger brother had been mistreated during the game and characterized what the opposing player was allegedly doing as something outside normal football contact.
McKenzie also questioned whether juvenile court proceedings were necessary, saying less restrictive responses could have been considered. “Could there have been less restrictive measures that were utilized rather than have this poor girl get served with petitions from a juvenile court system? Absolutely,” he said.
NewsChannel 5 also reported that the 13-year-old’s father posted publicly about the incident and said his son did not deserve what happened to him. He also asked people to remember that the player in the viral footage is a real child with a family and condemned hateful and racial comments directed at his son online.
She Also Faces a Lifetime Trespass Ban and a One-Year TSSAA Ban
The legal case is only one consequence of the incident. According to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, Hunnicutt has been trespassed from all Franklin County School System properties for life.
The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association also barred her from attending Cornersville home and away athletic events for one year.
Marshall County Director of Schools Justin Perry confirmed that Hunnicutt is a student in his district and said school officials were cooperating with the TSSAA and law enforcement.
“We are deeply disappointed by the incident and remain committed to player, staff, and fan safety and a high level of sportsmanship,” Perry said. Because Hunnicutt is a student, Perry said the district could not discuss the matter further.
South Middle Says It Is Changing Game-Day Security Procedures
South Middle Principal Dr. Tara Brewer praised the response from coaches, players and school resource officers after Hunnicutt entered the field. “I am incredibly proud of how our coaches, players, and School Resource Officers handled the situation with swift professionalism and composure,” Brewer said in a statement obtained by NewsChannel 5.
Brewer said the school had already met with coaches and SROs to review its game-day protocols and implement additional security measures intended to prevent another spectator from reaching the field.
Franklin County officials had also said they were reviewing safety procedures for the remaining middle school football games this season. The incident brought the game itself to an early end. Officials cleared the field and stadium, with South Middle leading 35-0. No further disruptions were reported.
